Tom Yum Goong
Tom Yum Goong (Prawn Tom Yum)
Tom Yum is a world-famous Thai dish that has a full flavour that is sour, salty, spicy and slightly sweet.
There are 2 types of Tom Yum.
- Tom Yum (clear water) is the original recipe of Tom Yum. In the past was often cooked without milk or coconut milk and often simply cooked with water in.
The main ingredients were meat such as frogs, snakehead fish, chicken, shrimp etc. and the main spices are lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, chilies, both fresh
and dried galangal.
- Tom Yum Nam Kham (thick soup) is understood to be the original version of
Tom Yum. But in truth it's just a development from Tom Yum clear water. This is because beginning during the reign of King Rama 6 during his visit to the Sam Yan neighbourhood there were some Chinese people that yard made tom yum goong with milk as a thick water and he liked it and it took off from there.
How to make Tom Yum Goong
How to cook Tom Yum Goong
- Bring prawn heads with water to boil in a pot and simmer for 30 min. Pour througha strainer. If you are using already peeled prawns just skip this step. Or you can use
water or vegetables stock.
- Chop all vegetables, add lemon grass, galangal, garlic, baby corn, carrots, tomatoesand onions to stock/ water and boil for a while. Also add salt and sugar to taste.
- Add kaffir lime leaves and mushrooms and let it boil until the mushrooms are cooked. Last but not least then
you need to add the prawns and chili paste and let it boil just a little bit longer. (if you like spicy you can add fresh chilis this time)
Note. If you want to have Tom Yum with thick soup you can add the coconut milk this time.
- Turn off the gas when the prawns are cooked and add the ccoriander and spring onions. Now squeeze some lime juice in to taste. If you like to make strong taste add some few drops of fish sauce.
● A few slices of galangal
● Lemongrass (cut into pieces around 4-5 pieces)
● Kaffir lime leaves 3-5 leaves
● 1 Red onion or white onion
● Garlic (much like ou like)
● Vegetables (mushrooms, carrot, baby corn,
tomatoes or cherry tomatoes)
● Spring onion long cut 1 inch
● Coriander or parsley (for garnishing)
● Prawns stock or vegetable stock
● Fish sauce few drop (not needed if you don’t like the smell)
● Milk (Milk product for cooking and bakery) this one only when you want to do Tom Yum thick soup.
● Few chillies chopped