Rat Na – Flat Noodles with Gravy was originally cooked in China, prepared only in high-end restaurants where it became very successful. Teochew people (Chinese people native to the Chaoshan region) began cooking and selling it to working-class people as it was quick to make and filling which helped its popularity and spread to Thailand.
Ingredients for a single serving:
- First, prepare the meat by chopping it into the size pieces that you would like. Make your marinade by combining the egg with the Oyster Sauce, light Say Sauce, Salt and Pepper. Mix the marinade and meat well and then put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. (If you are making this recipe with Seafood or Tofu then you don’t need to marinate them before cooking).
- Take the flat noodles and mix them with 1tsp of Dark Soy and 1tsp of Light Soy sauce in a bowl. Take care not to add too much Dark Soy sauce. The colour of the noodles should be light brown after mixing in the Soy sauce and not dark brown.
- Heat up the oil in your pan and ensure that it is hot. Then put the noodle into the pan and quickly cook them ensuring to move them around the pan so that they are evenly cooked through. (You can also add an egg to the noodles whilst you are cooking them if you like to add more flavour, this is optional). Once cooked then put them into the bowl ready to serve.
- Clean and prepare your vegetables and then chop them into bite sizes pieces.
- Crush and chop your garlic.
- Heat up a pan with some cooking oil and then when the oil is hot cook your garlic and then when you smell the aroma of the garlic add in your marinated meat (or unmarinaded Seafood or Tofu). Keep on the heat until the meat or seafood is cooked through.
- Add in 1 cup of water and bring it to a boil and add in the vegetables.
- Add in seasoning, Oyster sauce, Light Soy Sauce, Salty Soy Beans, Sugar and pepper. Mix them all in and taste.
- Add water and cornflour or potato starch together in a bowl and mix them well. Then slowly add the mixture into the pan stirring to mix in well. When you see that the mixture is thickening stop adding in the water and cornflour mixture and remove from the heat.
- Then pour the soup onto the noodles that you have already prepared in your bowl and it’s ready to serve.
- You can add in dried chili, a squeeze of lime juice or chilies in vinegar to flavour to your taste.
● 100 – 200g Flat noodles
● 1 Egg
● Vegetables (for example Carrots, ● Baby Corn, Kale, Brocolli, Cauliflower.)
● Cornflour or Potatoe Starch
● Black or White Pepper
● Light Soy Sauce
● Oyster Sauce
● Dark Soy Sauce
● Salty Soy Bean
● Vegetable/Cooking Oil