Sum Tum (Thai papaya salad)
Papaya salad is made with the main component that is grated papaya in strips, put into a mortar. Complete with ingredients such as yard-long bean, garlic, small tomatoes, eggplant, Sida, fresh chilies, dried chilies, then seasoned with white sugar or palm sugar, add fish sauce, lemon, to your liking.
These ingredients make the papaya salad has a unique flavor. Sour, salty, spicy, spicy, noisy, pleasing many people. For Thai people in the northeast, they prefer to eat spicy, salty, spicy papaya salad. And Thai people in the central region like to eat sweet and sour flavor There are also side dishes that are often almost indispensable, such as grilled catfish, grilled chicken, rice noodles and fresh vegetables such as morning glory, long beans, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, and sticky rice.
History of papaya salad
Papaya was originally a plant native to Central America. Later, in the early Ayutthaya period Portuguese and Spanish cultivated in Southeast Asia. Around the same time, Dutch people brought chilies to Thailand later.
During the reign of King Narai the Great French ambassador Nicolas Gervaise and Simón de la Lubera visited Ayutthaya. And said at that time that Papaya has become one of the native plants of Siam. And also mentioned lime, mango, garlic, pickled fish, crispy fish, dried shrimp, bananas, sugar, pepper, cucumber, various beans that can be used as ingredients for papaya salad.
In Laos, Som Tam is called Som Buak Tam or Tam Mak Hung (Mak Phu Hung means papaya), sometimes referred to as Som Tam. The Thai word orange means "sour". Called by Lao people General ingredients of Laos papaya salad are similar to Thai papaya salad. Consists of papaya, chopped into strips, powdered rice nougat (monosodium glutamate), spicy betel (chili), salt, garlic, fish sauce, sugar, pickled fish sauce (pickled fish sauce), peas (yardlong bean), betel nut (lemon) and others. Add the acacia seeds as well. In addition, some areas have raw crab and crab water added as well.
INGREDIENT (for 1 or 2 people)
- Clean papaya and carrot, use papaya peeler to peeler papaya and carrot skin out and then break the papaya into thin strips.
- Clean all fresh tomatoes, long beans and chilies. Sliced long bean, tomatoes.
- Pound the chilies and garlic add a little bit of salt mass them up. (Add chilies follow your like spicy)
- Add palm sugar or normal sugar mass up until sugar melt and followed by long beans and roast peanuts.
- Add tomatoes, lime and fish sauce and mix well.
- Now followed by papaya and some carrots. Mix them well then try test out sweet, sours and a little bit of salty. When you like the taste it is ready for eating. Serve with nice salad or vegetables.
● 2 cloves garlic
● 2-5 hot chilies (Thai red or green chilies)
● 2 tomatoes (or 3-5 cherry tomatoes)
● 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
● 1 long green bean, sliced
● 2 tablespoons fish sauce
● 1 Lime
● 1 tablespoon palm sugar